Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Productivity

A few weeks ago, Kyle and I had a conversation about this subject.  His company runs off many statistics that help to assess how they can help other businesses thrive in the area of productivity.  Interestingly enough, some statistician somewhere figured out that average people are only extremely productive for 4-5 hours every 8 hours.  Hmmm.  Well, surely this could a load of hogwash, but let's say it true.

Little ol' me, musing while washing dishes or driving somewhere thought, "hey Paige, this might make a whole lot of sense."  Of course unless you really have a super crazy full day of deadlines, etc.  "I've got two 8 hour chunks in my day, so let's clump some productive times together and prioritize according to my current needs and schedule.  Wow, Paige, you sound so professional!" "Why, thank you Paige."  Ha.  Here's whats I gots to do:

School my two older boys.
Make healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day.
Keep up on daily/weekly chores.
      Make beds every morning.
      Pick up rooms twice a day.
      Wipe down bathrooms daily.
      Close kitchen at the end of every night.
       Make weekly plans for school.  (I don't prefer NOT to do it advance for lots of reasons.)
      Vacuum three times a week.
       Mop every other day.
       Do laundry 6 days a week (2-3 a day) and put away at once. (This took me ten years people!)
       Iron Kyle's shirts once a week.  (or a few if I'm lazy.  whoops)
       Read to children twice a day for at least 20-30 min.
       Read myself for at least 15 minutes a day.
       Sit down everyday for 30-60 min. (yes, I make this a priority.  Thanks to My dears Sarah Erickson and
            Becky Freeman)
       Walk every other day and (I plan to) do some calisthenics.
       Organize papers, schoolwork, mail 3 days a week. (Kyle pays bills online for me.  Hallelujah!)
       Mow the lawn, rake leaves, sweep driveway every 10 days.
       Visit, text or make phone calls every day or every other. average of 45 minutes. (Daily with husband and
              Kristal.  Hi Kristal!   ;*3)
       Communicate for 30 minutes at least with husband when he gets home. (the kids are not allowed to
              talk or interrupt us.)
        Sleep for at least 7 hours.

There are of course other things we do every week, but you get the gist.          

Ok, so this is about the average job description that most people have in any profession. Let's face it, it's probably less than those who work and care for their home.  It is manageable,  granted that you don't have many distractions (other than children ;)).  So I said to myself, "Paige, what's the most important thing(s) you need to do everyday?"  Answer? School kids and feed family.  If nothing else gets done...oh well!  It can always be made up.  Stressfully at times, but whatever.  Such is life.  Ok, so back to the big P...Ive got 4 hours every 8 to get stuff done.  That's pretty good news for me.  School is done twice a day.  Morning and afternoon. 3 hours in the morning, 1+ hour in the afternoon. (This will fluctuate from week to week and every year of course but the boys are required to be outside for at least an hour a day.  Three hours in the spring/summer.)  So I've got 4-5 hours every morning before lunch to get (everyone) dressed, make beds, eat breakfast, school the boys for the morning portion, read to them and myself, start laundry, put away a load (easy), tidy up school room (put away books, colors, papers, etc.)  Eat lunch.  Relax!!  Yay!  My productivity is high and I've still got 3-4 hours left.  We read, snuggle, nap, play, do dishes sometimes, and start more laundry in the next two hours.  Then prep for dinner and school some more between 2pm and 3pm.  I've got the next 8 hours to accomplish very little and maybe even catch up on Instagram, phone calls, texts, and exercise.

So maybe that was a little too much information, but I was very encouraged by this and thought I'd share.  Breaking things up for me helps my mind work hard and consequently rest.  It also frees up time for me to serve in our church, and craft if I ever do learn.  It frees me up to say yes to my hubby and friends if they need me to do something from time to time. It's like budgeting in a way.  Squeeze your money and it ends up working for you!  (Read a Dave Ramsey book if you have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Of course this is all bounced off the question of "Am I redeeming the time?" One of the main and simple questions I always try to ask myself...
     
I'm interested if anyone else think along these lines.  What works for you? 
        
   
     

1 comment:

Charissa said...

I love that, "be joyful" is on your to-do list. A good daily reminder!

Contemplating How Short He Wants It

Contemplating How Short He Wants It

Good Haircutting Form

Good Haircutting Form

One of His Many Girlfriends-Dede

One of His Many Girlfriends-Dede

I am So Tired, I Can't Even Smile

I am So Tired, I Can't Even Smile

Las Vegas Vacation

Las Vegas Vacation
april 08

Off to Church

Off to Church
i am very solemn on sunday mornings

Eating Breakfast

Eating Breakfast
you can kinda see my teeth!

I'm Here!

I'm Here!
proud Grandpa

Newborn Gunnar

Newborn Gunnar
with Grandpa

8 Days Old

8 Days Old