Friday, August 1, 2014

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Etc.

Well I'm finally getting around to posting about why no more Facebook, or at least, very little Facebook for muah.  First off, this is not a brown nosed judgmental post.  This is my journey, not yours.  I don't pretend to be you, and surely you don't pretend to be me.  Thanks.  That sounds harsh.  I mean.... I really don't look down upon anyone who uses it.  I don't make it my concern, really.  I love all the people on my friends list.  This is just my reasons for not going on.  :)  Now on to my explanation....

Facebook was starting to interfere with some things in my life.  1) Paying attention to my kids.  You know when your kid starts saying "Mom" 4 times before you respond.  Yeah.   2) Wasting time and not allowing me to get done what I need to, which is always growing as my family is growing. House chores, schooling, reading.  It was a cocktail of the sorts.  3)  Paying attention to doing what was good for my marriage.  Kyle means the world to me.  I'd really like to spend most days with him.  All day.  My soul cherishes him and my actions were not reflecting that, so pretty much it had to go.  This is why:  I was checking out what my friends were thinking and doing.  Now I think its great that I CAN do this, but not at the expense of my responsibilities.  Lets face it, I've got four kids.  I home school.  I want to feed our mouths good food for lots of reasons (I'll post about that another time.) I want to play with my kids, I have to manage our home.  Sounds like plenty to do.  Yup.  It is.  4) The ironic part was that most of my friends were posting good things.  Like, Scripture and edifying things.  Why would I want to delete that from my life?  Well, I'll tell you.  Remember when you used to peek at your friends artwork in the 3rd grade and compare if you were "up to par?" And your friend always had a more artsy and creative picture than you.  It's KINDA like that.  And basically, it wasn't me!  I'm so tired of trying to be other people.  I'm tired of living through others' glasses.  I want to be who God would have me to be.  I want to use my spare time to learn new things and pray for people I think about.  I want to search the library and Internet on how to love God through my talents and inclinations.  And then share.  With you.  Or my friends.  5)  In my estimation, its become a marketplace for consumption, discontent, and rubbish (with exception to all my awesome friends who post edifying things and cute pictures of babies!) The problem is, I'm not in that market right now.  I may be more inclined in 10 years to meander on it more, but in the mean time, I can't.  My time is more precious than I realize and I want my actions to reflect that.  6) I don't want my kids to think that its normative to be on the phone all day.  I did'nt grow up with that, and I think that was a great thing.  Our family motto is....well we have a lot, but one of them is....less is best.  For everything really, but that only applies to certain things (I'm digging myself in a hole here) and this is one of those things. 

About Instagram, I like it and don't like it.  I love that I can speed through my "feed" in less than five minutes, catch up with friends, and turn it off.  And this is exactly what I do.  I don't waste time on it.  I don't browse that much. If I do, its in the evening, and sometimes with my hubs.  A fun thing to do together. It's a abbreviated social network.  I love that this picture taking mama can document life and save it!  Enough said.  I don't care too much what others think of my posts, I do them for my family and kin, and for friends far away (as a keeping in touch, if you will). I don't like all the pictures.  Sounds stupid, right?  I know.  I plead the woman card on this and claim to have existing contradicting beliefs simultaneously.  There.  What I really mean is that our culture has dumbed down in the form of illiteracy.  Figuratively and literally.  People don't read for information anymore, people look at pictures.  It's like a LEGO instruction booklet.  Its cross cultural, and that's great, but its probably not good for your noggin'.  Remember what your teachers and parents used to say about reading?  It's true.  It's good for you. 

Twitter is..well, I have no idea what it is.  And I don't care.  I'm sure there is plenty  of other networks out there, but I've never heard of them.

Love ya!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Paige I miss actually TALKING to you. Glad you are using your time wisely. I agree time buster is what facebook is

Unknown said...

Hi Paige,
Way to go! Loved reading what you are thinking these days about these things. You have to do what is best for you and your family and less is best! But, I do love seeing the occasional picture of you and your cherubs. I think of you often, especially when I walk our dogs and remember when you would housesit and take Shadow out for long runs. He is old now, no more long runs, not even many long walks. :-)
Love you!

Cynthia said...

Great for you! I love your posts and would like you to update family pics! Love you all! Mom

Contemplating How Short He Wants It

Contemplating How Short He Wants It

Good Haircutting Form

Good Haircutting Form

One of His Many Girlfriends-Dede

One of His Many Girlfriends-Dede

I am So Tired, I Can't Even Smile

I am So Tired, I Can't Even Smile

Las Vegas Vacation

Las Vegas Vacation
april 08

Off to Church

Off to Church
i am very solemn on sunday mornings

Eating Breakfast

Eating Breakfast
you can kinda see my teeth!

I'm Here!

I'm Here!
proud Grandpa

Newborn Gunnar

Newborn Gunnar
with Grandpa

8 Days Old

8 Days Old